Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Electricians Suffer Burns in Center City Electrical Fire

Two electricians suffered burns during an electrical mishap at an underground PECO substation at 23rd and Market streets in Center City.

According to reports, a PECO employee and an outside electrical contractor were working on equipment when a flash fire erupted, causing both workers to suffer serious burn injuries.

One of the electricians, a 35-year-old man, suffered second and third degree burns to his body.

He was taken to the Temple University Burn Unit and is currently in stable condition.

The second worker, who is 40 years old, was taken to Presbyterian Hospital, having suffered superficial burns to his face and hand.

Eight PECO customers lost power as a result of the accident.

Officials have not yet revealed the cause of the fire.

PECO says both men were wearing appropriate personal protective equipment.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration was notified of the incident and they have initiated an investigation.

OSHA will have six months to release its findings.

The Public Utility Commission is also investigating the incident.